2020 Annual General Meeting
We hope you are keeping well during these unprecedented times. Thank you to everyone for your commitment and the positive impact that you are continuing to make. The outstanding supports that are being delivered are not going unnoticed. As a result of COVID-19 and the restrictions on mass gatherings, we are not able to host an in-person annual general meeting and will instead change our format to hosting both a virtual (online) Town Hall gathering and later the more formal Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Town Hall gathering will be held on June 25, 2020 at 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Please note that this session will be recorded and uploaded to www.adwa.ca for members who cannot attend the town hall to view and ultimately to vote. This process eliminates the need for proxy voting.
The Town Hall will be an opportunity to engage with your Board of Directors, ask questions, and participate in open discussion. We will discuss annual Board Reports and proposed changes to our bylaws. For those of you that have attended previous AGMs this gathering will be similar except there will not be any voting during the meeting.
- Annual General Meeting will follow on July 7, 2020 at 12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Note this meeting will be recorded as well.
The AGM will be a shorter and more formalized process, wherein results of electronic voting will be shared.
2019 Annual General Meeting
This year's AGM was held on Sunday, May 12, 2019 from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. at the Best Western Premier Hotel (formerly Coast Plaza) in Calgary (1316 - 33 St NE) in Plaza 5. We were the lead-in event to the Annual ACDS Spring Conference. This year people could also attend virtually on Skype by contacting email@example.com before May 9 for the link. We produced our first-ever written Annual Report. Click on the image at left to download this report.
We are pleased to have Janet Roy back on the board for a second consecutive term and to welcome Tara Brady as our newest board member. We also said goodbye to board members Michelle Wolfe and Jim DesRoches.
2018 Annual General Meeting
The 2018 ADWA AGM was on Monday. May 7 from 4:30 - 6:00 pm as part of the ACDS annual Spring conference in the Edmonds Room (lobby level) of the Radisson Hotel and Conference Centre in Edmonton. The proposed change to the by-laws was defeated. Congratulations to Darren Bennett and Tracy Yaremko who were re-elected to the board for a second term. Welcome to Alyssa Deutscher (pictured right) and Lindamarie Gossen (pictured left), our newest additions to the board.Here is a summary of our activiies this year from the Board Report:
Advocate for Fair Compensation
- Letter to all MLAs addressing misconceptions about the impact of minimum wage increases on our sector
- Letter to Premier's Council on how disability workers help individuals achieve their goals and the need for fair compensation to create stability for individuals with disabilities
- Meeting with Deputy Minister Shannon Marchand to discuss fair compensation, certification and worker role in the PDD review
Build Credibility with Certification
- Worked with Alberta Labour and secured funding for the ADWA certification pilot
- Developed certification preparation manuals & assessment tools
- Completed a trial run of the process
- Working with website developer to incorporate the certification process to ensure a user-friendly experience
- Started the certification pilot (continuing throughout 2018)
- ADWA membership in government committee following up on PDD Safety Standards report recommendations
- Recruiting more candidates for certification pilot
- Presenting to various groups to inform the sector of certification and the pilot
Increase Professional Development Opportunities
- Built connections to increase notification of training events & conferences to post on our website
- Participated on review committee for Foundations curriculum
Build ADWA Membership
- Held "Build the Buzz" contest on ADWA's Facebook Page
- Held prize draws for new and continuing members
- Developed "ADWA Champions" program and supporting materials
- Implemented new Perkopolis access program
Support Worker Health & Safety
- Participated in OHS review session for industry associations and advocated successfully for disability workers' concerns
- Responded to Ministry of Labour request for input into OHS regulations related to violence/harassment and workplace H&S committees
- Helped present and finalize the ACDS-ADWA "Disability Worker Safety Hub" app
Build Stronger Connections & Collaborations
- Added collaboration to our statement of values
- Joined Voices of Albertans with Disabilities (VAD)/Alberta Disabilities Forum (ADF)
- Gave regular updates at more regional services provider council meetings
Operations (the boring stuff)
- New phone number and system
- Fixed web and association management system glitches as they occurred
- Identified operational and board policies for development
2017 Annual General Meeting
The ADWA 2017 AGM was held on April 24, 4:30 - 6:00 pm at the Coast Plaza Hotel and Conference Centre in Calgary (1315 - 33rd Street NE).
Board member Darren Bennett led another fun icebreaker activity, followed by reports from Treasurer Eugene McCafferty, President Denise Young, and Chair of the Certification Committee Shauna Pilipchuk. Staff member Kathleen Biersdorff reported on our communications activities and invited those present to tell ADWA what they want from our communications with them. Elections were held for four (4) board positions for 3-year terms. Winners were current board members Denise Young and Shauna Pilipchuk and newcomers to the board Alexander Stoye and Jim Des Roches. There were door prizes for the lucky few and chocolate for everyone present!
|The winner of our Membership Blitz $50 gift card draw for new and renewing members in April was Hyehee (Serena) Seo of Bow Valley College.|
|The winner of our Member Appreciation $50 gift card draw was Donna Acorin of SPAN.|